Monday, January 25, 2016

Goal #1

Another night of less than 4 hours of sleep…I wake up mad. Little A pooped all through night and thus didn’t sleep much. (Poor girlie’s digestive tract is messed up from something I ate) Big A is sick for the second time this month. L ended up in bed with us…again. The jackhammer out my bedroom window started promptly at 7am. I lay in bed trying to rest. It’s a joke, I know I will not be able to fall asleep. I want to rage on the first thing that moves. L kicks over a glass of water sitting on the nightstand and I am up in a flash, grabbing a towel to sop it up. I can feel the heat of anger rising in me. Today I want to be…grumpy…pissy…mean! Dammit, I got no sleep…again! I want to drink my coffee and feel sorry for myself.

I look at L's little face. "Sorry Mommy" she says. I hear a faint whisper in my ear, "they don't deserve your wrath." I think, it's not anyones fault that I am exhausted. They are precious and deserve a kind mom today. I take a deep breath and say "It's okay."


I've decided that one of my 2016 goals is to complain less about how tired I am, mostly to myself. It is inside my own mind that I throw the most pity parties. I am going to work on choosing to be joyful when I feel so exhausted. Stop keeping a tally of how many hours I did or did not sleep. Stop wanting Jeff to feel bad for me, I know he does. My girls deserve to see me smiling at them in the morning and holding them close when I just want to be alone. Feeling sorry for myself about how little I sleep these days only puts me in a bad mood and my girls can sense that so easily.  How can I expect them to learn patience, perseverance or grace if I do not show them. Today I will drink my coffee, ask God for grace and choose to smile.

1 comment:

Katrina Hope said...

You are incredible Lou. Amidst all this - you still make sure to find birthday gifts for friends, personally wrap them, and send them over with sweet cards. Knowing how considerate and attentive you are to me as a friend, I'm pretty sure your girls are going to grow up being so grateful for how attentive and careful you keep choosing to be toward them as your daughters! They are lucky girls!